Things to know
To be eligible to stay at Ronald McDonald House®, families should:
- Be the parents/guardians of a child (under the age of 19) receiving treatment at the IWK Health Centre or another medical facility in Halifax for a serious illness or injury
- Live a minimum of 80 km away from the House (under extenuating circumstances, shorter distances may be approved)
- First time stays need to be referred by hospital staff (social worker, doctor or nurse)
How to Apply to Stay
Please note that we are often at capacity and your request to stay is not guaranteed. To confirm whether we have a room available for you, you are required to call the day before check in. Please be prepared with a backup plan and ensure we have the best possible phone number to reach you at should an opening become available.
First Time: If it is your first time applying to stay at the House, we require a referral from hospital staff, the family physician, or a social worker.
Returning Stay: If you are a family that has stayed with us before you can call our Family Services Office and schedule your stay. In non-crisis situations, requests to stay at the House should be made as soon as medical treatment dates are scheduled, and can be made by parents, caregivers, social workers or medical staff simply by contacting us.
Space in the House is limited and room availability cannot be guaranteed at the time the request is taken.
Cost of Staying
Families are asked to contribute a nominal fee of just $11.00 a night. A family can stay in one of our 18 private rooms, located only steps away from the IWK Health Centre, for as long as their child requires medical care. Each family is allotted one room (a room can accommodate up to four people).
9:00 am – 9:00 pm
Check-In: 1:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Check-Out: Before 1:00 pm
- 18 private bedrooms
- Shared bathroom facilities
- Linens and clean towels
- Complimentary laundry facilities
- Full kitchen and dining area
- Home for Dinner Program provides families with a home cooked meal, three times a week
- Complimentary bread, milk, juice, coffee
- Common living room
- Television access
- Two public computers with Internet access
- Free Wi-Fi
- Elevator access
- Arts and crafts area for children
- Outdoor playground