Things to know
What are the Admission Requirements?
To be eligible to stay at Ronald McDonald House®, families should:
- Be the parents/guardians of a child (under 19) receiving treatment at the IWK Health Centre or another medical facility in Halifax for a serious illness or injury
- Live a minimum of 80 km away from the House
- First time stays need to come through a referral from hospital staff (social worker, doctor, or nurse)
How do Families Apply to Stay?
Please note that we are often at capacity and your request to stay is not guaranteed. To confirm that your room is available, you are required to call the day before check in. Please be prepared with a backup plan and ensure we have the best possible phone number to reach you should an opening become available.
First Time: If it is your first time applying to stay at the house, we require a referral from hospital staff, the family physician, or a social worker.
Returning Stay: If you are a family that has stayed with us before you can call our Family Services Office and schedule your stay. In non-crisis situations, requests to stay at the House should be made as soon as medical treatment dates are scheduled, and can be made by parents, caregivers, social workers or medical staff simply by contacting us.
Space in the House is limited and room availability cannot be guaranteed at the time the request is taken.
What is the Cost of Staying?
A family can stay in one of our 18 private rooms, located only steps away from the IWK Health Centre, for as long as their child requires medical care. Each family is allotted one room (a room can accommodate between three and five people). Families are asked to pay just $11.00 a night – no family is ever turned away due to an inability to pay.
What are the Office Hours?
Family Services Office Hours:
9:00 am – 9:00 pm
Between 1:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Before 1:00 pm
- 18 private bedrooms
- Linens and clean towels
- Shared bathroom facilities
- Complimentary laundry facilities
- Full kitchen and dining area
- Weekly Home for Dinner Program provides families with a home cooked meal
- Complimentary bread, milk, juice, coffee
- Common living room
- Television access
- Two public computers with Internet access
- Free Wi-Fi
- Elevator access
- Arts and crafts area for children
- Outdoor playground